Sunday, April 22, 2012

Opening Weekend

Yesterday we played our first two games of the season. It felt so good to get back out there and compete. The first game I played left and batted 4th. The pitcher we were facing is one of the top Austrian pitchers. What a great way to start my hitting career off after taking 7 years off. There were a few butterflies in my stomach for sure. I just said a quick prayer on my way to the plate. He ended up walking me and I was out first base runner of the game. My next at bat I struck out and my third I ground out to second. We ended up losing 10-0, they had some lucky hits and we had a few errors. I was excited to get on the mound and make game two a different out come. I threw 7 1/3 innings had 7 strike outs 0 walks and gave up one run. It was one of my better pitching days. I had a shut out going till the 7th abd were winning 6-1 when I came out. The final was 10-4. Every time before I toe the rubber I draw a cross on the back of the mound and say the same prayer. "Dear God help me pitch to the best of my ability, be a warrior out here and have fun". I say best of my ability instead of pitch well because some times you have off days. The great players will take a negative performance and learn from it. They take what they need to an leave it in the past. My mom sent me a email the day of the game letting me know how much she wished she could be there to see me play. But she wouldn't  actually see me pitch because she gets nervous and paces behind the bleachers. She also said she talked to her dad in heaven and he would be there watching. So before the game started I picked a spot where I imagined him sitting. He wasn't  sitting alone though. My number one fan was next to him, he's never missed one game since I started playing. He's always there to tell me I played well and he's proud of me no matter how I played. It's God. Its pretty cool to think about that the guy that made the world is also your number one fan in life. D

1 comment: