Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Baseball Superstitions

Baseball players are probably the most superstitious out of any athletes out there. It's just part of the game and it adds some extra fun to it. Some are more routines then superstitions. For example you will never see a player step on the foul line coming in and out of the dugout. For some reason it's just bad luck. Some guys wear the same thing for every game. I wear the same socks, sliders and undershirt every time I pitch. I even have a routine to how I put on my uniform. Right sock left sock right sock left sock then undershirt then pants and finally jersey. Yes I wear two socks for every game. I always put my belt on my pants before putting my pants on. I shave on every game day too. It started in college because we had to and now I just continue to do it. Cleaning my cleats before the game is a part of the routine. I got to chew gum while I pitch. My Dad has left games to go to gas stations to find watermelon gum for me. When I was in college I would leave the locker room at the same time an listen to "I'm a go getta" by lil Wayne as I walked to the field. During my junior year I had a mo hawk for the season. Until I pitched awful against a really bad team. When we got back that night I shaved it off. I think my mom wishes it would have been before Easter, she wasn't real happy when I came home with that hair cut. The reason I wear my pants up is because I pitched bad one game and had to change something up.
I have seen some crazy things over the years. I have seen guys shave all their hair off after a bad series or bleach their hair. I had a second basemen one summer that when the catcher would throw down at the start of the inning he would kiss the ball. I asked him about it one time and he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. I remember one guy that would wear his girlfriends perfume on his game jersey. He said it helped him play better. I know a person that would eat one red and green sour patch kids and one red and green gummy bear before each game.
Then there are some of the unwritten ones. Have you ever noticed that when a starting pitcher isn't pitching that day that he is relaxed laughing and making jokes with other guys. But when it's his day to pitch he is completely different. This is because he is focused on the game. No one really talks to him before the game. Then if he has a no hitter going. You won't see any player close to him on the bench. You don't want to be the player to jinx it. These are all just for fun. Sometimes when you think something is different that's all you need to get out of the slump your in.
I can't wait to play again tomorrow. I hope everyone has a blessed day, God has given you another day so make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment